What if xrandr doesn't have the resolution you need?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 17 03:22:27 UTC 2009

| From: Andrej Marjan <amarjan-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| To get 1920x1200 you'll need a dual link port on your video card and dual link
| DVI cable; do you have both?

That turns out not to be the case.  1920x1200 @ 60Hz is fine with
single link.  See, for example,
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Some video cards cannot handle that resolution.

Some drivers cannot handle that resolution.

Funny example: my father's Dell 3000 with some Intel chipset could drive
my Dell 1920x1200 monitor with Linux, but not with MS Windows XP.

Some video BIOSes don't have a suitable mode (hence the non-modesetting
drivers won't work).

Some drivers depend on EDID information provided by the monitor.  This
has caused me problems because my KVM doesn't pass that information.