C++ IDE Recommendation

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 15 00:53:20 UTC 2009

you can run it on as many machines as you like ;) ,
[i.e. there is no licensing checking, etc,
i use it on my main machine, laptop, and cottage machine]

but i am sure that would be against their
license. but if its just you using it at each location,
i am sure they will not track you down and fine you :)

i checked out the http://www.activestate.com/komodo/
posted in the thread,
it looks very similar to slick, but it seems to have
focus on scripting languages.

you can't lose "Trying" slick,
even re-install it (perhaps) to get another 30 days
(as just 30 days might not be enough evaluation time),
then when your sure you like it, drop some coin.

If you do a lot of scripting, from what I read on
their web page, looks like komodo is very cool,
but I have no idea how fast it is.

the definite only draw back with slick is no
native debugging, its just a pass through to the
debugger of your environment,
i don't use a debugger much, so its not a lose to me.

mono-develop is improving, and i expect in about 2 years
it will be close enough to slick, that i might be able to
make the jump to it. And since its open source, i could
add in anything i like, and also script it in c#,
and speed wise in 2 years time, even thou its CLI managed runtime,
on a octal 3.5Ghz system (or whatever the common system is then)
it should be plenty fast, but i will stay with slick until then.
just watch out for mono-develop especially if you get into
c# in the future.

-tl

ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org>