C++ IDE Recommendation

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 14 20:37:24 UTC 2009

The "power user" IDE is slick edit,
i dont like paying for a IDE, but i downloaded slick 3-4 years ago,
just to try free 30 day fully func., demo, and there
was no way i was ever going to do with out it after that.
it does all you mention below and a lot more,
it prides itself on being the fastest by a mile IDE
and it is a IDE for just about every known language of
 current popularity.
does html and xml format/editing too.
it has vim and emacs direct support,
and a scripting language that is like C

macros,

support for version control  like svn, and other,

the only thing it doesnt do
is it "calls out" the debugger of your environment,
it has no knowledge of it in particular,
however for very popular one,
i think it works well.
I use it for  html, xml editing,
as well as c# c c++

you can go for a 30 day demo,
and you have nothing to lose,
if you are totally set against paying for software,
then that limits your options, however,
slick will be about 300$,
and say a 150$ upgrade cost on average every 2 years,
but lately their new features for version upgrades
havnt been compelling enough to upgrade,
as its just so good as it is now.
So say 600$ is you likely shell out over
10 year time frame with slick,
if you code alot, it might amount to
0.005 $ per hour of use, but it probably
makes you 5-10% more efficient,
(so just drink 10% less coffee while programming,
and it will easily pay for itself over the years,
with just your coffee savings :)  )
so it money in the bank.
For me , i use a dual screen
30" monitor type set up, and this works amazing
over a huge desktop.
It is second to none in the power user
category of IDE. Actually with its
vim/emacs, and back end scripting ability,
there is nothing it can't do, but of course
you have to be a power user to enhance it
to its full capabilities.
It also has a plugin to eclipse.
For me the speed and the vim support
make it a deal closer.