April / May topics and presenters

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 14 15:48:43 UTC 2009

Richard Weait wrote:

> How to contribute to F/LOSS projects (My first patch)

I offered to cover this topic on the condition that there's nobody more
suited than me, I seriously doubt -- I have a good deal of programming
experience but have only contributed to open source a few times, and
they were all minor contributions.

The topic is very open-ended. Is there anything in particular people
would like to learn about regarding this topic? If not, the broad plan
would be:

   - Overview (some stats, some general pointers, web sites)
   - Quick look at tools (make, svn, etc.)
   - Basics of C/C++ programming. Using gdb.
   - Work out a real-time example
   - Submitting the patch

The amount of time I spend on basic stuff depends on how much
programming experience I can assume from the crowd -- what should I expect?

> We have an unconfirmed potential presenter for GIMP in June.  [Giles.
> Are you out there?]
>
> So who wants to pick up the ball on a topic for April or May?  Other
> topics are welcome as well.  Putting on a good show from one of the most
> requested topics is sure to get you a standing ovation.  Or a nice firm
> handshake.

I can't do April but can probably do May.

Marc

--
The only real valuable thing is intuition.
   -- Albert Einstein