Any Opinions On This Laptop for Linux, any other suggestions

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 10 14:24:16 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 02:04:16AM -0500, jim ruxton wrote:
> Thanks for this Stephen. I'm fairly concerned about Video Speed since I
> do a lot of work doing real time video crunching and processing. I would
> prefer open source video drivers but I don't know that is going to
> happen with Nvidia any time soon. To get more battery life I can step
> down the processor when I'm running on battery. Usually when doing real
> time video I have AC anyway. I'm afraid of tablet PC's. I carry my
> laptop around a lot and I'm worried about reliability.

Certainly there hasn't been any indication of open source happening
from nvidia.  ATI talks about it, but I will wait until it happens and
someone actually makes it work before I believe it.

Intel certainly has nice open source drivers, but their chips are not
particularly fast.  The new G4x chips are supposedly a lot faster than
the 95x and G3x were, but still.

> Ya I've had major problems with this. Hopefully I can work it out on my
> new laptop.

Suspend and sleep are very very hard problems to implement.  I have
seen it work on some thinkpads although they were running lts-ubuntu
and hence had direct support to make it work from ibm.

--
Len Sorensen