Any Opinions On This Laptop for Linux, any other suggestions

jim ruxton cinetron-uEvt2TsIf2EsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 10 07:04:16 UTC 2009

> Here's what I care about in a notebook.  This has evolved.
>
> - I don't care about processor speed: middle of the road isn't that
>   different from top of the line.  My intuition is that disk speed
>   (4500 vs 5400 vs 7200 vs SSD) is more noticeable.  Of course
>   your workload may differ.
>
> - I don't care about fast video: I don't do anything for which it
>   matters.  I'm using a ~$50 video card in my current desktop because
>   I'm too lazy to install the ~$500 video card (and requisite power
>   supply) from my dead desktop.
>
> - I do want open source video drivers.  That means I like Intel video.
>   Except that there is some problem with one of the new Intel video
>   chips (the one used in the Dell Mini 10, for example).

Thanks for this Stephen. I'm fairly concerned about Video Speed since I
do a lot of work doing real time video crunching and processing. I would
prefer open source video drivers but I don't know that is going to
happen with Nvidia any time soon. To get more battery life I can step
down the processor when I'm running on battery. Usually when doing real
time video I have AC anyway. I'm afraid of tablet PC's. I carry my
laptop around a lot and I'm worried about reliability.

> - I care a lot about weight, size, and battery duration.  I have a
>   desktop if I want something that is heavy, large, and has no
>   battery life.
>
> - I want more pixels.
>
> - I think that VT hardware is a Nice Thing to have even if I've rarely
>   used it.  That rules out a lot of Intel-based notebooks.  It takes
>   research to figure out which processors have VT (the T8100 does).
I'll probably get a T9400 0r P8600 both of which has the virtualization
technology.

> - Linux compatible sleep may be very useful.  Some problems are in the
>   BIOS and some problems are in the Linux video drivers.  Many
>   problems are mysteries.
Ya I've had major problems with this. Hopefully I can work it out on my
new laptop.

> My current notebook is a Lenovo X61t tablet with a high-res screen
> (that option is no longer available as far as I know).  I paid
> $829+tax eight months ago (a Lenovo sale + botch).  Included a 3 year
> warranty!
Wow 3 years that awesome. You did luck out.

> Linux problems with it: takes arcane customizing to get the stylus to
> work and to get the extra buttons to work.  Bluetooth stopped working
> in Ubuntu 8.10 in a recent update but fiddling can get it going again.
I had the same Bluetooth issue with Kubuntu 8.1 , hopefully it is fixed
in the next release.

> The tablet features don't seem important to me at this point (you
> can't know without trying, and I haven't given it a fair try).  Linux
> support for tablet PCs is not bountiful.
>
> Suspend is a problem with a lot of notebooks.  The x61t is the best
> I've had from that standpoint (my 10-year-old notebook used APM and
> that worked but APM was ditched by progress).
Thanks again for your comments. All the advice I get is extremely
helpful.
cheers,
Jim