Nvidia on new Debian Testing system

John McGregor mr.mcgregor-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 4 18:01:41 UTC 2009

JoeHill wrote:
> Setting up Debian for a friend, and it looks like some things have changed with
> xorg.
>
> When I run dpkg-reconfigure, there is nothing in there to change driver,
> resolution, or anything.
>
> I also installed the nvidia config utility, but that failed with a message
> saying there was a missing 'driver' line in xorg.conf. I checked that file and
> it doesn't look anything like I'm used to, it just has 'configured device' in
> the video section.
>
> Any tips on how nvidia works with this new xorg setup?

The folks at the Mepis site are promoting the use of the smxi scripts in
cases where their own Nvidia install utility or the install routine from
the Nvidia site fails. Here's a link to the smxi instructions:

http://techpatterns.com/forums/about933.html

I have not used it myself since Mepis's built in utility did the job.

HTH

John