Nvidia on new Debian Testing system

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 4 19:03:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 12:34:30PM -0500, JoeHill wrote:
> Setting up Debian for a friend, and it looks like some things have changed with
> xorg.
>
> When I run dpkg-reconfigure, there is nothing in there to change driver,
> resolution, or anything.

Yeah they stupidly removed the 'Driver ...' part, and now rely entirely on
autodetection by xorg.  Perhaps if you uninstall the xserver-xorg-video-nv
driver, then only one left to pick would be the nvidia driver.

> I also installed the nvidia config utility, but that failed with a message
> saying there was a missing 'driver' line in xorg.conf. I checked that file and
> it doesn't look anything like I'm used to, it just has 'configured device' in
> the video section.

You can just add 'Driver "nvidia"' to the configured device section and
then it should work.

--
Len Sorensen