Questions from a Linux user considering a Macbook

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 4 16:06:37 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 11:00:50AM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> Not that Apple one, as far as I can tell:
>   http://www.apple.com/ca/displays/cinema/specs.html

The Dell 3008WPF has displayport.  Probably cheaper than the apply model
too, and quite likely a better screen as well.

> The Mini has a mini DVI port but it isn't dual-link.  That's why you
> need to get this awkward and expensive cable to support the Apple 30"
> display.  I don't know about other current 30" displays.

Why anyone would not put dual link DVI on a box these days is just
silly, unless of course apple's stupid minidvi connector doesn't have
enough pins for a dual link connection.  displayport (and hdmi) can run
higher bitrates per lane and hence do higher resolution with the same
number of pins.  They could have put a real dvi connector on and left
out displayport and the minidvi connector instead.  That would have been
actually useful.

--
Len Sorensen