cross-platform GUI mail client that support maildir?

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 30 17:08:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 12:48:49 -0400 (EDT)
S P Arif Sahari Wibowo <arifsaha-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am looking for an application which are:
>   - a mail client,
>   - a FOSS,
>   - GUI,
>   - cross platform (including MS Windows and Linux/UNIXes),
>   - support IMAP well,
>   - the Linux/UNIXes port support maildir.
>
> Any suggestion what software can fit the bill? Evolution seems
> close, except that from what I read the MS Windows port still
> have some issues. Any comment?

And ... Evolution .... is .... huge and ... s ... l ... o ... w ...

> BTW, I am looking since I have a relative who wants to get new
> mail client, so good time to introduce a FOSS one. However, this
> may make me the first point of support, so I better introduce a
> software that I myself can use. :-)

Someone pointed me to Claws recently as a replacement for Tunderbird.
I'm quite happy so far, mainly because it isn't as bloated/inefficient
as TB is. It's built on GTK+. It has a maildir plugin but it
isn't maintained, so they are asking anybody who uses it to consider
also maintaining it:

http://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/Plugins#I_love_maildir_format._Is_there_a_useful_replacement_in_Claws_Mail.2C_which_is_better_than_the_maildir_plugin_.3F

There is a Windows version part of gpg4win (never heard of it myself):

http://www.claws-mail.org/win32/

So I can't comment on how well it works with maildir and/or Windows,
but I've been using it for about a month now in Linux with IMAP and I
think it will become my new choice for mailers.

Two features worth highlighting:
- IMAP filters work well (they can move incoming messages to IMAP
  folders)
- Searching through mail is even faster than in TB, which I thought was
  the fastest client out there

Marc

--
A computer without Windows is like chocolate cake without mustard.
  -- Unknown