question about resizing partitions under lvm

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 27 13:26:39 UTC 2009

Richard Dice wrote:
>     resize2fs will let you (think you have to turn off the journal with
>     tune2fs, I don't know the details). The tricky part is running fdisk
>     after resizing to remove the existing partition and create a new one
>     with the smaller size.
>

> Jamon,
>
> But does using fdisk apply in the situation I originally described,
> where I said that I'm doing all of this under and lvm environment?  The
> various man pages and HOWTOs I've read so far suggest that lvreduce and
> lvextend should take the place of fdisk.  Am I right with that?

That I couldn't say, I was responding to Tyler's question. But take a
look at the gparted live{cd,usb} tool since it shows the commands it is
running in the detailed output. Should give you an idea. I'd imagine if
you're resizing a volume down and want to use the unused space for
another partition fdisk will be involved.

Jamon