good day to buy 30" monitor

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 23 20:34:32 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 01:19:34PM -0700, Tyler Aviss wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Lennart
> Sorensen<lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >> >

> >> According to the manual, my Sharp Aquos LC-42D65U 42" set will support
> >> up to 1600 x 1200 @ 60 Hz.  It can do 1080p, so I'd imagine it would do
> >> so in progressive scan.
> >
> > Must look awful.  After all scaling/stretching 1600x1200 to 1920x1080
> > is not going to be pretty.  I don't know why TV makers can't just make
> > the computer input identify as a 1920x1080 display with 60hz refresh.
> >
> > Well most seem to be able to do that, a few get it terribly wrong.
> > --
> > Len Sorensen
> > --
> > The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
> >

> 1600x1200 = 4:3
> 1920x1080 = 16:9

Right, so trying to mash a 4:3 image onto a 16:9 display is just stupid.

> Two common videographic aspect ratios are 4:3 (1.33:1), universal for
> standard-definition video formats, and 16:9 (1.78:1), universal to
> high-definition television and European digital television.
>
> What's the standard for a DVD, and/or does it vary depending on how
> it's translated from the film version?

It varies, and some DVD players let you output widescreen in which case
the dvd player will simply remove some of the black bars on a wide screen
movie.  I believe the movie is actually sotred widescreen without the
black bars at all, and the correct aspect ratio is stored in the data and
the DVD player adds those bars on playback depending on its configuration.

--
Len Sorensen