good day to buy 30" monitor

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 23 20:33:23 UTC 2009

Tyler Aviss wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Lennart
> Sorensen<lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>>> According to the manual, my Sharp Aquos LC-42D65U 42" set will support
>>> up to 1600 x 1200 @ 60 Hz.  It can do 1080p, so I'd imagine it would do
>>> so in progressive scan.
>>>
>> Must look awful.  After all scaling/stretching 1600x1200 to 1920x1080
>> is not going to be pretty.  I don't know why TV makers can't just make
>> the computer input identify as a 1920x1080 display with 60hz refresh.
>>
>> Well most seem to be able to do that, a few get it terribly wrong.

I've never hooked up a computer to it, so I have no idea how it'll look
or if it will take 1920x1080.  Those specs listed were for the computer
monitor input connector.  I imagine 1920x1080p should work fine via an
HDMI input.  Of course, that would require a DVI or HDMI connector on
the computer.

> 1600x1200 = 4:3
> 1920x1080 = 16:9
>
> Two common videographic aspect ratios are 4:3 (1.33:1), universal for
> standard-definition video formats, and 16:9 (1.78:1), universal to
> high-definition television and European digital television.
>
> What's the standard for a DVD, and/or does it vary depending on how
> it's translated from the film version?

It's a definite "that depends".  Some DVDs will display wide screen on a
wide screen set or letterbox on a standard set.  Other DVDs assume
there's no such thing as wide screen and displays full screen on a
standard set and "pillars" on a wide screen set.