Creating an unformatted, unmounted LVM LV in kickstart

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 19 19:08:44 UTC 2009

John Miles wrote:
> Interesting question - the kickstart docs say:
> "|--noformat| — Use an existing logical volume and do not format it. "
> but - you wouldn't have an "existing" lv to use.
> Maybe a post-install task?

In my case, I want a raw LVM LV for a Xen virtual machine that will be
setup on it.

The exercise here is that I am trying to automate, script and document
all the steps... with the automating and scripting being the highest
priority.

The goal is that, should the office be razed with yours truly in it, the
owner can pick up a new server, the backups and my custom install DVD
with an install script and follow the simplest directions possible to
end with a ready-to-go server for his business.

So yes, I can do it post-install, but it's one more step he would have
to worry about which I don't like. This shouldn't be too hard, I would
think, so I would *much* prefer to set it up with the OS.

Madi