quad-64 CD/DVD

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 13 19:19:50 UTC 2009

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | There is a new quad-64 at work.
>
> What's a quad-64?  Do you mean a PC running something like an intel
> Core 2 quad q6600?
>
> | There are a few issues there, but lets take one at a time.
> |
> | I installed it without problems (Centos 5.3, 64-bit version)
> |
> | Now, when the system is installed, I can not use as a user CDROM (root would
> | do).
> |
> | When a valid CD/DVD is inserted, I am politely told that it is a blank one.
> |
> | I checked for all possible file axcess permissions. I googled a lot.
>
> Normally in Centos (if I remember correctly) the user logged in on the
> main console gets ownership of things like CD drives.
>
> If a data CD is inserted, and it isn't blank, you should not be told
> that it is blank.  Is this a data CD and does it contain an ISO9660
> file system (perhaps that is what you meant by "valid")?  If so, you
> might have a hardware problem.

When I insert an installation disk, the computer will boot from it.

I have already the system installed.

When I insert (while using the already installed system) _any_ _good_
CD/DVD I get that it is a blank one.

I can for instance boot from installation DVD, but after the
successful(!) installation I can not use the same DVD to view its
content. The disk is reported to be blank.

zb.