Linux desktop sluggish over time

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 8 20:48:12 UTC 2009

On 08/06/09 04:24 PM, Marc Lanctot wrote:
> Does anybody know of a TB tool that detects this badness? I could be the
> google-data-provider and/or lightning plugin that was leaking it. I
> remember it was often TB (sometimes up to 800MB IIRC) and X which has
> the most memory, then I'd kill TB and X would still have much more
> memory consumption than usual. I don't remember how much better things
> became after killing and restarting X.

Tbird and FF will both become totally unresponsive for me occasionally.
I kill them on those occasions and restart and they seem to be fine. On
other occasions, just as you've been experiencing, one or the other will
start consuming all the RAM that I have, which ranges from 1GB to 4GB,
depending on the machine, hitting swap, and chewing up most of the CPU.
It also happens with Konqueror. If I restart X, things will be back to
normal. If Firefox or Konqueror are misbehaving, I can be reasonably
certain that Flash was a contributing factor.

I can tell you that the situation with Firefox is no better on Windows
XP or on OS X, both platforms on which I run FF3. It misbehaves in the
same ways. Again, Flash is often involved in the caper. I can't ditch
Firefox because it is a very useful web developer tool but I wish it was
better behaved.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay