Linux desktop sluggish over time

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 8 20:55:27 UTC 2009

CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> On 08/06/09 04:24 PM, Marc Lanctot wrote:
>> Does anybody know of a TB tool that detects this badness? I could be the
>> google-data-provider and/or lightning plugin that was leaking it. I
>> remember it was often TB (sometimes up to 800MB IIRC) and X which has
>> the most memory, then I'd kill TB and X would still have much more
>> memory consumption than usual. I don't remember how much better things
>> became after killing and restarting X.
>
> Tbird and FF will both become totally unresponsive for me occasionally.
> I kill them on those occasions and restart and they seem to be fine. On
> other occasions, just as you've been experiencing, one or the other will
> start consuming all the RAM that I have, which ranges from 1GB to 4GB,
> depending on the machine, hitting swap, and chewing up most of the CPU.
> It also happens with Konqueror. If I restart X, things will be back to
> normal. If Firefox or Konqueror are misbehaving, I can be reasonably
> certain that Flash was a contributing factor.
>
> I can tell you that the situation with Firefox is no better on Windows
> XP or on OS X, both platforms on which I run FF3. It misbehaves in the
> same ways. Again, Flash is often involved in the caper. I can't ditch
> Firefox because it is a very useful web developer tool but I wish it was
> better behaved.

I built a 64bit 3.5 beta 4 version last week. I have had a session with
15-20 tabs running since then and am very much impressed with it
compared to 3.0.x versions. Right now I see ~200mb of rss memory used.
Large, yes, but stable, and with 4gb of ram, small price to pay. Can't
wait for a stable 3.5!

Jamon