Linux desktop sluggish over time

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 5 18:16:05 UTC 2009

Hello,

Considering my experience with Linux this seems to be a problem a should
have fixed by now, but it's an problem I'm growing particularly annoyed
with.

I notice that over time Linux desktops I use tend to get sluggish. I
know this is true for at least Ubuntu and Fedorah. I don't remember
feeling it as much on Debian, but it's been a while.

Anyway, here goes. Sometimes I leave my home Ubuntu machine on for a
while; I'm talking like 2-3 weeks, maybe more. Sometimes I run
CPU-intensive apps for a few hours, then leave it idle for days. It just
seems like over time, the machine gets increasingly unresponsive. After
rebooting and opening up Thunderbird, the new message window pops up
right away. After several weeks it takes twice the amount of time or
more. And, while I thought maybe the GUI/X/Video Driver (nVidia Quadro
NVS 290) might be to blame, the sluggishness is noticeable even when I
ssh into my machine from outside.. so it's not just GUI response time.
But sometimes the problem is less noticeable if I restart X, so ..

We're talking about a new Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.0 GHz with 4 GB of RAM.

For a while I suspected Gnome was the culprit. Could it be? This seems
way less noticeable when I use fluxbox, but alas, I need a user-friendly
desktop for the girlfriend.

I suspect this may be due to processes left open that consume most of
memory but the problem persists even after killing some of those large
processes.

I know for a fact that Ubuntu comes with a lot of little trinkets that
are spiffy and supposed to make "Linux easier to use" or more modern but
sometimes they can slow the machine down. Compiz, for example, is a
culprit. Pulseaudio too. *But* even after removing these unneeded apps
the problem still happens.

So, to my question... does anybody know what is going on here and has
been through similar trouble? I suspect that it is memory/virtual memory
related.. like, over time the OS doesn't handle memory management as
well by default, but if I set a few flags this will all magically
change. I don't want to take the easy way out and just reboot; I want to
understand what the problem is.

Linux's performance is one of the main reasons I initially ditched
Windows (don't worry, there have been a lot of reasons since that have
made me stick with it), and now it seems like many distros are going the
"unneeded bloat" route... it makes me sad. I just hope it -- meaning my
particular problem -- can be fixed.

Thanks,
Marc

--
Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice
is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine