spam from cg.ca

Darryl Moore darryl-90a536wCiRb3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 28 17:44:26 UTC 2009

I'm yet to be convinced of this. What are they? We have a land registry
so anyone with a few bucks can find out who the owners are of any piece
of real estate.

True, your car ownership is generally private, but your telephone number
is not unless you pay extra for that privilege.

What is the rational for keeping this private?

Put the onus on the other foot and ask why it should be made public?
Fair enough. At times I've wanted to know what country a particular
website worked in, which is a fair question in many circumstances. I've
wanted to contact the owner when neither neither the website was up to
date or even the CRIA database. (It's amazing what you can discover by
doing a little bit of cross referencing.)

Given that the purpose of a domain name is as a medium to communicate to
the public, does the public not have some right right to know who it is
they are communicating with?

If you really want to hide your identity, there are still ways of doing
it with rented servers, virtual domains, and dynamic DNS, so those that
really insist upon anonymity can still have it, but in general the
public's right to know who they are dealing with is met.

As well, we have reverse whois which will tell you who owns a particular
set of IP numbers. These have not been made private? So what the
difference between reverse IP, and reverse telephone numbers vs domain
names? Very little that I can see.