spam from cg.ca

Terrence Enger tenger-P1ovA8G34VBEfu+5ix1nRw at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 28 16:37:45 UTC 2009

Greetings,

I have just received spam purportedly from CIRA in the domain
cg.ca.  It looks like <http://whois.domaintools.com/cg.ca> the
server is in California and the domain status is "Registered And
Parked Or Redirected".

Having heard here and in a recent TLUG meeting that cira.ca tries
hard to protect the .ca TLD, I wonder whether the similarity of
the originating domain to the well-known gc.ca can imperil the
domain registration.  I do not know who owns the domain, and I do
not know how to test whether an owner would be for example,
as "CIRA POLICIES, RULES, AND PROCEDURES" puts it,

    2(d) Corporation. A corporation under the laws of Canada or
         any province or territory of Canada;

Is there anything worthwhile I can do to stomp on this particular
source of spam?

BTW, the email has no content.  The .html attachment purports to
be from Canada Revenue Agency, but embedded link in text "To
access the form for your tax refund, please click here" goes to a
site with a domain name including "igotmyloverback".  Ah, a
second reason for my "oh-yeah?" tic to be acting up.  (My friends
here will kindly refrain from asking how long I spent looking
at "cg.ca" before twigging to the character reversal.  Thank
you.)

All suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
Terry.