root partition move

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 28 16:17:41 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Lennart
Sorensen<lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:24:12AM -0400, S P Arif Sahari Wibowo wrote:
>> Well, this can be tricky as well, since only one partition can be pointed
>> from master boot record. :-) Probably the other partition can be booted
>> through chain-loading, but it feels like one linux installation is the
>> master and other is secondary.
>>
>> I myself think shared /boot do make sense, but just as I said before,
>> currently it requires some manual work: backup /boot before installing
>> new linux, then synchronize the new /boot with the old one. Alternatively
>> you can get the new installation to have its own temporary /boot without
>> writing MBR, then synchronize new temporary /boot with the real /boot.
>
> If you want something that works, then you pick one linux xystem to
> be the main one.  You then let it configure grub for its use.  You can
> then install your other linux and tell it to install its bootloader on
> its own partition and ask the first grub to chainload the second grub.
> Grub does not have to be in the MBR after all.  It just often is.
>
> So you just chainload a second grub instance the same as you chainload
> the windows boot loader.

OK that makes more sense now. I believe this is what I did, installed
GRUB on it's own partition, 1st boot-sector or something like that
rather than the MBR.

I recall I had to edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file to add back the
missing entry which I copied over from the other /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Is that was you mean by chaining? It seems like I can boot into every
OS without any issue, and I belive the right vmlinuz kernel image is
running as I don't see how a 32 bit kernel could be running 64 linked
apps and vice-versa.

As a sanity check with my limited knowledge I would check by using:
'uname -a' and verify the kernel info.

> --
> Len Sorensen

Kind Regards,