root partition move

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 28 16:04:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:24:12AM -0400, S P Arif Sahari Wibowo wrote:
> Well, this can be tricky as well, since only one partition can be pointed
> from master boot record. :-) Probably the other partition can be booted
> through chain-loading, but it feels like one linux installation is the
> master and other is secondary.
>
> I myself think shared /boot do make sense, but just as I said before,
> currently it requires some manual work: backup /boot before installing
> new linux, then synchronize the new /boot with the old one. Alternatively
> you can get the new installation to have its own temporary /boot without
> writing MBR, then synchronize new temporary /boot with the real /boot.

If you want something that works, then you pick one linux xystem to
be the main one.  You then let it configure grub for its use.  You can
then install your other linux and tell it to install its bootloader on
its own partition and ask the first grub to chainload the second grub.
Grub does not have to be in the MBR after all.  It just often is.

So you just chainload a second grub instance the same as you chainload
the windows boot loader.

--
Len Sorensen