root partition move

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 27 19:43:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 11:29 AM, S P Arif Sahari
Wibowo<arifsaha-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>>
>> What I hate about GRUB is that it's stupid and finds WinXP but not another
>> Linux. So when I installed a 2nd Linux, it would not update
>> /root/grub/menu.lst as I expected ... I pretty much hacked my way to adding
>> the missing Linux.
>
> I believe it is not the problem with GRUB, but with the 2nd Linux installer.
> I don't think updating GRUB configuration is responsibility of GRUB (or any
> boot manager), but responsibility of the installer (either software or
> human). So blame the installer of that linux distro, not GRUB.

So if I were to go through the process of re-installing GRUB, never
done this. You're telling me it would not find any of the
pre-installed OSes? I would have to add them in manually from memory?
>From my perspective, GRUB along with any other bootloader should be
robust enough to handle OS detection.

> I believe it is a good practise to always make backup of everything under
> /boot before installing other OS. Therefore if your GRUB configuration is
> overwritten, you can easily copy & paste from your backup.

I have /boot on a separate partition so installing another OS should
not overwrite GRUB config files as the files for it are located under
/boot/grub and this partition should be hands-off during the install
of a new OS. In fact it should not be able to overwrite GRUB
configuration file unless one re-installs over an existing OS that has
/boot on the same partition.