root partition move

S P Arif Sahari Wibowo arifsaha-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 27 15:29:06 UTC 2009

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
> What I hate about GRUB is that it's stupid and finds WinXP but
> not another Linux. So when I installed a 2nd Linux, it would
> not update /root/grub/menu.lst as I expected ... I pretty much
> hacked my way to adding the missing Linux.

I believe it is not the problem with GRUB, but with the 2nd
Linux installer. I don't think updating GRUB configuration is
responsibility of GRUB (or any boot manager), but responsibility
of the installer (either software or human). So blame the
installer of that linux distro, not GRUB.

I believe it is a good practise to always make backup of
everything under /boot before installing other OS. Therefore if
your GRUB configuration is overwritten, you can easily copy &
paste from your backup.

--
    ____  ____  ____  ____ (stephan paul) Arif Sahari Wibowo
   /___  /___/ /___/ /___      http://www.arifsaha.com/