ntfs-3g vs. ext2ifs

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 25 19:59:08 UTC 2009

EXT2fs on windows is OK,with the odd permissions quirk.
Functionality-wise, NTFS-3g on Linux is good, but I've noticed that
running the NTFS-3G/fuse layer actually consumes a noticeably large
amount of CPU on older machines, so performance-wise not so good (I
think it may be a general FUSE thing due to the userland component).

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 9:30 AM, meng<meng-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm getting an external drive enclosure for an old IDE hard drive.
>
> I going to load data(and movies) on it and want it accessible from Windows XP and Linux.
> As to the file system, should I use ext2/3 on the drive and use ext2ifs to access it from Windows?
> Or use the ntfs file system and use ntfs-3g to access the drive from Linux?
>
> I use Linux so the answer should be self-evident but will appreciate any considerations that I may have overlooked.
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks and cheers :-)
>
> Meng

Tyler Aviss