scp problem

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 25 19:36:42 UTC 2009

| From: bob 295 <icanprogram-sKcZck+fQKg at public.gmane.org>

| scp myfile 192.168.1.101:/tmp

Does adding a / at the end make a difference?  Probably not, but that
is what I would have typed.
	scp myfile 192.168.1.101:/tmp/

Is there already a file or directory named myfile in /tmp on the remote machine?

| it prompts me for the password and then echos the line I put at the bottom of
| my .bashrc on the remote box (192.168.1.101) and returns without any copy
| happening.
|
| echo $?

Is this echo on the local side or at the end of the remote's .bashrc?

Is there no diagnostic message printed?

Can you copy it somewhere else (like your home directory)?

|     The
| debug stuff says that the command it is sending is "scp -v -t /tmp" ... that
| also looks curious to me.

That appears to be normal.