Geek humor

Tim Middleton tim-Ww2BJfnxIYteoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 24 05:49:10 UTC 2009

I discovered Jonathan Coulton on "the sixtyone" some weeks ago. If anyone's
interested in supporting his geekiness you can do it there either by giving
him "hearts" (which makes his songs rise in the ranks to get more exposure) or
with tips (ie. actual money).

I particularly like the song "Re: your brains". I like "Code Monkey" too,
though it's shamelessly packed with horrendous techie/programmer cliches. I
think the most interesting thing about it was his decision to write the lyrics
in a sort of "cave man"/primitive/tarzan-like dialect... i think that subtle
element says more than the actual song does... and it works... (i think)...
conveys the feeling I think a lot of us techies have of not being able to
communicate properly to "normal" people... or should I say rather that
"normal" people can't seem to understand understand our sensible explanations
for things and think we're barely speaking english half the time when we do
talk to them... so they view us as sort of primitive proto-humans who mostly
just talk to/like machines. Or perhaps that's just me. <-:

He has quite a few songs posted there. Most of them are downloadable with a
creative commons license.... which is pretty cool (you must admit).

http://www.thesixtyone.com/new/#/jonathancoulton/

It's a pretty interesting site in general. They've tried to create a site
where independent musicians can post/share/sell their music, and engage users
in various ways.

The most interesting part (to me) is how they've made a (optional) quasi-
adventure game for users to encourage exploring new music... if you explore
the interface. If you start to explore, it quickly gets addictive... it's
quite clever how they've done that.

Shameless plug: If you check it out and feel like signing up for an account
(so you can give Jonathan some love) feel free to use my referral URL below...
(-: I don't get anything from it except a few "reputation points" ... which
are worthless, but fun to collect (as part of the game-like system the site
incorporates). You'd be helping me complete the "Evangelist" quest! Wheee.

http://www.thesixtyone.com/?referred_by_username=timtoo