Coder Girl...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 23 15:01:23 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 09:58:45AM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
> Actually, it's entirely relevant.
>
> Did you read the links that Darryl posted? They give a lot better
> insight into why it is relevant than I can. Let me try to give it to you
> in a nutshell though;
>
> Rap and Hip Hop originally came from the black community and are still
> probably the largest consumer of this style of music. So you can say
> that, to an extent, Rap and Hip Hop are "black music".

Seems rather popular with lots of white people too, and there are white
musicians that do rap as well.  If you want racism to go away, then stop
considering black people as a distinct group of people, and stop looking
for racism everywhere where it might not have been intended.  I thought
the post about rap and monkeys was somewhat rude perhaps, but I never
saw anything racist in it at all.  The idea that it could have refered
to black people never crossed my mind.  I read it as a post by someone
that doesn't like rap and happens to think monkeys are stupid animals.
That's just someone's opinion.

It's usually very easy to be offended by things when you try to find
ways to be offended by everything.

> Traditionally, blacks were compared to primates as a way of showing that
> they are racially inferior to whites. This was particularly true during
> the civil rights movement and after the end to slavery.

Ehm, but humans are primates, so how can being compared against primates
be a problem when you already are one?

> Like the noose as a reminded of lynching, comparisons to primates is a
> particularly charged issue. This is why American history is relevant.
>
> Diplomacy; The art of making a point without making an enemy.

Isn't diplomacy about getting what you want while making the other side
think they are getting what they want?

> If you want to break it down like this, fine. We are a pack animal. For
> the pack to work, we have to think about the other members of our pack.
> If you go around pissing on them, you can't be surprised when the pack
> turns on you.

But pack animals often fight internally to determine seniority and
leadership.

> So with that out of the way, lets drop the sticks and talk, like you
> would like to.
>
> Why do you think rap and hip hop is causing the "disintegration of moral
> values that goes through within this society has no equal through out
> the globe"? Particularly in light of your comment: "I am myself a total
> ignorant on music. I have no idea what rap means."

Personally I just find most rap to be very annoying noise.  There are
exceptions, but they are rare.  Of course most music is crap, with the
occational good thing coming out of it.  Why should rap be an exception.

--
Len Sorensen