Coder Girl...

Darryl Moore darryl-90a536wCiRb3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 23 14:38:37 UTC 2009

G. Matthew Rice wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 10:00 -0400, Darryl Moore wrote:
>>> I am used to say: "the problem is in your own mind!" It seems that no
>>> one does understand that saying...
>> Quite right. It is not what you intended by what you said that matters.
>> It is how it is likely to be received by other people that counts. The
>
> So, everyone isn't really looking for an apology for zb's views.
> They're asking for an apology to the effect that he is sorry that
> everyone misunderstood him?
>
> I regularly call a bunch of my children "lil monkeys".  I thought that
> they act like monkeys.  Now, I think that maybe I'm a racist.  ;)

I'm very sorry that your kids are so thin skinned that, coming from you,
this would likely be received as an insult.

I would work on trying to reduce their sensitivity to such things. At
the same time, perhaps a little self confidence building would be good
for the tykes.

In the meantime if you know that calling them such things offends them,
then indeed, you should refrain. :-)