Coder Girl...

G. Matthew Rice matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 23 14:30:32 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 10:00 -0400, Darryl Moore wrote:
> > I am used to say: "the problem is in your own mind!" It seems that no
> > one does understand that saying...
>
> Quite right. It is not what you intended by what you said that matters.
> It is how it is likely to be received by other people that counts. The

So, everyone isn't really looking for an apology for zb's views.
They're asking for an apology to the effect that he is sorry that
everyone misunderstood him?

I regularly call a bunch of my children "lil monkeys".  I thought that
they act like monkeys.  Now, I think that maybe I'm a racist.  ;)

> If you choose to ignore that and continue to utter statements that you
> know will offend people, and offer nothing that could be considered
> insightful at the same time, then you are simply being callous.

This is the best point anyone has made so far.  Despite the fact that zb
isn't continuing to utter the statement (I only saw him say it once,
then went into defensive mode), I think the point to make is that he may
want to restructure his statement about his view of the quality of rap
music from "only monkeys could like rap" to something else like "rap is
shit".  Even if only to avoid getting the crap beat out of him someday.

Although, the other thing no one picked up is that zb admits to knowing
nothing about music.  In that case, zb should just shut up on the
matter.  As Samuel Clemens didn't say:

   "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open
    it and remove all doubt."

> I'm not sure what principle you think you are standing up for. The right
> to insult others? Hardly seems worth being (rightly) shunned by society.

As a self-proclaimed non-PC-ist, you don't want to go to far the other
way, either.  I'm comfortable trying to maintain it at "shocking" and
"unpredictable".

PS - Is the Coder Girl song link worth clicking on?  Or just a schleppy
amateurish offering similar in the difference between Dilbert and
Userfriendly?

--matt