Mesh (type) networking

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 21 18:00:53 UTC 2009

Mike Kallies wrote:
>>> I know of nothing, short of reinventing FidoNet with our wireless routers.
>>>
>>>    Mel.
>> Well, that was the idea of mesh networking.
>
> I really like the idea of setting something like this up.  It seems to
> me that IPv6 is capable of a dynamic addressing scheme devoid of
> central authority.
>
> For names, it always struck me as remarkable that Gnutella could be
> fully distributed and allow for searching.  It might be a good way to
> offer name resolution in a completely distributed mesh network.
>
> So if we stuck antennas out our windows and offered a web server on an
> IPv6 network to jump on the first browser request, sharing the "hi,
> this is my router and this is how-to-set-up your computer" page, what
> would happen?
>
> One could also offer a site which could show a map of people running nodes.
>
> Has anyone already created such a project?  I get conflicting info
> from Google, although I can find some references to using Gnutella as
> a distributed DNS protocol.
>
> A capable routing protocol might be tricky.  Stuff that scales and is
> resistant to abuse is tough.
>
> -Mike

In principle, it would work. In practice...

Let's look at potential legal pitfalls. Let's say someone jumps on and
starts downloading illegal material. Who is at fault? The node owner
will catch flak and possibly get shut down. The only way around this is
to require people to sign up, but then the node owner becomes a
mini-ISP. What then happens if the gov't passes data retention laws like
they're trying to do?

I'm not saying it's not worth looking at, but these issues are just as
important to address as a scalable routing protocol is.

Also, who here has time time to assemble a community where people can
hash out ideas? Who here has enough free time and drive to work on a
project like this?

Asking honestly, not sarcastically.

Madi