Mesh (type) networking

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 21 18:55:42 UTC 2009

On 21/07/09 02:00 PM, Madison Kelly wrote:
> In principle, it would work. In practice...
>
> Let's look at potential legal pitfalls. Let's say someone jumps on and
> starts downloading illegal material. Who is at fault?

How about the person downloading the "illegal" material? This is the
usual refuge of the monopolists who, in an attempt to hide the real
reasons for their anti-competitive behaviour, conjure up terrorists,
pedophiles, and "pirates" behind every bush. It's a general rule of PR
that if you can get your opponents to adopt your language, you've won.
Let's not fall into that trap.

> The node owner
> will catch flak and possibly get shut down. The only way around this is
> to require people to sign up, but then the node owner becomes a
> mini-ISP. What then happens if the gov't passes data retention laws like
> they're trying to do?

That sounds like a "win" to me if those stupid data retention laws can
be bypassed so easily.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay