Anyone observed content change through Rogers?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 19 07:05:08 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 10:45:15AM -0400, William Muriithi wrote

> Yesterday evening, I ended up on news.bbc.co.uk to get my daily
> dose of world news. I was surprised in a sad way to note the whole
> site had extensive changes, full of advertisements and heavy flash
> use. The most prominent ones were from Rogers.  Five minutes into it,
> I gave up and decided to call it a day. All through that experience,
> I assumed the changes had something to do with the bbc organization.
>
> Then, today at work, I just visited news.bbc.co.uk and behold,
> the old classic interface filled the screen. Now, it does not make
> sense to assume this has to do with bbc organization. The problem
> seem to be Rogers are dynamically changing the content.

  I don't think so.  I'm on Teksavvy.  I tried news.bbc.co.uk with
Firefox 3.011. On my regular profile with the NoScript add-in, I get
the "classic" site, but on my "wideopen" profile, I got scrolling
headlines and ads that were obviously geotargeted for Canada.  One of
them even had the 416 area code in its "contact us" area.

  A quick-n-dirty way to tell them apart...

* with NoScript (regular profile) I see "Latest Stories" and 5 lines
listing the latest stories

* without NoScript (wideopen profile) I see "Latest Stories" as only one
line, but the line gets blanked and a new headline scrolls in, gets
blanked, and replaced by the next headline.  Rinse, lather, repeat.  I
*HATE* scrolling.

  I strongly recommend Firefox with the NoScript add-in.  It greatly
improves my browsing experience.