Anyone observed content change through Rogers?

Andrej Marjan amarjan-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 18 02:43:15 UTC 2009

On July 17, 2009 05:17:32 pm Howard Gibson wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 10:45:15 -0400
>
> William Muriithi <william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Hi pals,
> >
> > Yesterday evening, I ended up on news.bbc.co.uk to get my daily dose of
> > world news. I was surprised in a sad way to note the whole site had
> > extensive changes, full of advertisements and heavy flash use. The most
> > prominent ones were from Rogers.  Five minutes into it, I gave up and
> > decided to call it a day. All through that experience, I assumed the
> > changes had something to do with the bbc organization.
>
> William,
>
>    I am on Primus, and I do not see any odd advertising on your URL.

I'm on Rogers and right now I don't see any ads on news.bbc.co.uk. I even made
an empty Firefox profile to confirm.

http://marjan.ca/z/bbc.jpg

Which is odd because about 10 minutes ago, with adblock running in Firefox and
Konqueror, i saw the same placeholder for ads in the left column that shows up
in Madison's screenshot.

Also the references to doubleclick and googlesyndication have disappeared.

Nevermind, after typing this I pressed reload and they're back. I'm more
inclined to think that the BBC is doing something with their site and
advertising arrangements than that Rogers is targetting them specifically.