Kubuntu x64

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 18 20:05:54 UTC 2009

| From: Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| I have also given up on Fedora11 working on my system, it is totally
| crap. I can't manage to get a legit update completed, several
| attempts. When I partial update only the "bugs" and I reboot my system
| gets hosed and I end up in a console window, this has happened twice.
|
| Very disappointed and annoyed with Fedora11, not solid/stable at all
| ... Kubuntu x64 was more solid and stable from a OS (base) point of
| view, I was able to update and reboot with no issues.
|
| I am going to give Kubuntu x32 a try, hopefully I can have a solid
| Linux OS working soon.

Fedora 11 works fine on my x86_64 desktop.
It didn't work so well on my obscure subnotebook.

I just did an update on my desktop and it was painless.

Your annoyance comes through clearly but not your actual problem.

If you encounter a bug, please look for it on Fedora's bugzilla.  If
you don't find it, add it: this is how progress is made.  If you do
find an entry, you might find useful suggestions there.  You might if
be able to add something useful too.

You should always read the release notes and common bugs documents:
  http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f11/en-US/
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F11_bugs

A lot of difficulties with F11 are due to the aggressive adoption of
"kernel mode setting".  KMS is the future but field testing exposes a
number of problems with particular systmes.

Fedora 11 x86_64 runs 32-bit programs with no trouble.  64-bit code
cannot run 32-bit libraries, of course.  Plug-ins are typically more
like libraries than programs.