Kubuntu x64

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 19 22:53:28 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 4:05 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier<hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | I have also given up on Fedora11 working on my system, it is totally
> | crap. I can't manage to get a legit update completed, several
> | attempts. When I partial update only the "bugs" and I reboot my system
> | gets hosed and I end up in a console window, this has happened twice.
> |
> | Very disappointed and annoyed with Fedora11, not solid/stable at all
> | ... Kubuntu x64 was more solid and stable from a OS (base) point of
> | view, I was able to update and reboot with no issues.
> |
> | I am going to give Kubuntu x32 a try, hopefully I can have a solid
> | Linux OS working soon.
>
> Fedora 11 works fine on my x86_64 desktop.
> It didn't work so well on my obscure subnotebook.
>
> I just did an update on my desktop and it was painless.
>
> Your annoyance comes through clearly but not your actual problem.
>
> If you encounter a bug, please look for it on Fedora's bugzilla.  If
> you don't find it, add it: this is how progress is made.  If you do
> find an entry, you might find useful suggestions there.  You might if
> be able to add something useful too.
>
> You should always read the release notes and common bugs documents:
>  http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f11/en-US/
>  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F11_bugs
>
> A lot of difficulties with F11 are due to the aggressive adoption of
> "kernel mode setting".  KMS is the future but field testing exposes a
> number of problems with particular systmes.
>
> Fedora 11 x86_64 runs 32-bit programs with no trouble.  64-bit code
> cannot run 32-bit libraries, of course.  Plug-ins are typically more
> like libraries than programs.
> --

Unless KMS effect their package download manage I don't it was KMS
that caused stability issues for me with update. It might however
point to why f11 was useless after a reboot or on the next boot up
after install. The problems I was seeing are well know for f11 from
what I found out from the form. I found f11 was not suitable for
general use of my system.

If there was a way I could update my system without package manager
going bye bye I might be inclined to help out f11 with 'field'
testing. It was really irresponsible of the fedora team to release
their OS as f11, they should have done their field testing before f11
was release. I am not sure how much it's damaged its following with
'soft fedora users?

I have been using Kunubtu 64 for about 2 weeks in which time I made a
few updates to the system and downloaded other package without any
issues. The system is rock solid from what I can tell. I also find the
Ubuntu community very well organized and I've decided to become a
member. I would rather spend my time make sure the solid Kubuntu is
kept solid rather than report countless issues on a distribution like
f11 that it too aggressive.

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav