OT - bb curve 8330 a 3g phone?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 17 14:17:56 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 10:09:08PM -0400, Jamon Camisso wrote:
> Here's a good explanation:
> http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q1.07/93CA0BF6-6296-4DCF-88EA-9E27E617E96A.html
>
> Also, cmda might be a better technology in terms of throughput for evdo,
> or efficiency of channel usage, but Nokia announced in 2006 that they
> were scaling back cdma phones to all but the North American market, and
> then only using branded handsets (e.g. not make their own cmda phones,
> only slap their logo on them). If Nokia, arguably? the world's largest
> mobile manufacturer drops a technology, that says something to me.

Yeah it pretty much says:
Qualcomm is a pain in the ass to deal with and extremely greedy, and
guess who owns CDMA and makes all the chipsets for CDMA?

If you use GSM, you are using a worldwide standard that lots of companies
are part of.  If you use CDMA then qualcomm owns your system entirely.

--
Len Sorensen