OT - bb curve 8330 a 3g phone?

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 16 21:20:24 UTC 2009

Hi pals,

I have noticed a bell advertisement that has left me a little lost.
Basically, they were comparing two offers and from the listed features, I
was left with the impression that Bell do have a 3G network. This confusion
could be a result of two things, either I have no idea of what 3G is or Bell
may be misleading consumers here.

I have googled on the specification of above phone and it does seem they
market it as 3G because of EV-DO. That apparently is similar to HSDPA, but
its through put is so low I would not have considered it 3G before seeing
this advertisement. In fact, until today, I was under the assumption 3G is
exclusive to GSM. So the question is, what qualify a service to be 3G?
Frequency used? Bandwidth?

Last, I read a while ago that the none GSM carriers were evaluating on
whether to change their technology from CDMA to GSM. This was apparently
driven by CDMA lack of support from phone manufactures. Apparently, all the
fun phones are all GSM or initially GSM, tipping the market in favour of
Rogers. What was the decision of their management?

Regards,

William