Kubuntu x64

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 13 15:50:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 8:29 AM, James Knott<james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Paul King wrote:
>> We have entered a new "low phase" in Linux: the long wait for apps to run in
>> the new 64-bit architecture. I think this happened before, when the
>> architecture first moved to 32-bit.
>>
> I have been running 64 bit OpenSUSE for over 3 years and don't seem to
> have those problems.  The only issue I've had is browser plugins, so I
> simply run the 32 bit browsers.  Also, I don't think Linux was ever less
> than 32 bits, as it was originally written for the i386.  You should be
> able to run 32 bit apps on 64 bit systems, as I have done.

Apparently from what I have been able to gather, there is a bug with
wxWidgets, this is what seems to be crashing CodeBlocks. The crash
happen when a child window panel is moved around, trying to align it
to the side of the main window. I am sure the same bug will be
apparent on OpenSUSE x64.

This bug is only there for x64 Linux as I also have codeblocks running
on CentOS 5.3 which a only x32 and it is rock solid. It's ugly sister
Fedora11 seems to be alpha trash on my box?

I will give OpenSUSE x64 a go.

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav