Acanac...?

Erik (Caneris) erik_list-etARiVBfTZtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 12 02:07:26 UTC 2009

James wrote:
> As I understand this, you may have problems caused by two TCP
> connections trying to maintain the traffic flow.  It's one reason why
> VPNs should be using UDP, instead of TCP.

Indeed, as with any TCP-over-TCP tunneling, it's not an optimal solution. There are a couple of other, bigger, issues with this setup, but it's only our first attempt at it and it's something that will improve with time. The two alternatives I mentioned before, MLPPP and MPPE, each have their own advantages and disadvantages, just like this method.

How much could another layer of encapsulation and tunneling possibly hurt? :)
After all, it's only TCP over IP over TCP over IP over PPP over L2TP over UDP over IP over Ethernet, and that's just to get to Bell.

Erik