anyone out there use the ecm "nuxeo"?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 10 21:55:16 UTC 2009

On 10/07/09 12:24 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   a friend of mine is looking for an open source ECM solution, and the
> name "nuxeo" came up.  anyone out there use it?  any thoughts?
> thanks.

We used to use Nuxeo CPS (Community Portal Server) when it was a product
based on Zope. It had some very impressive capabilities but it was a
very frustrating thing to use because it had lousy to non-existent
documentation in English and not-so-great documentation in French.
Nuxeo, the company behind CPS, either didn't care to or didn't know how
to build a community. There were many times when I was the only person
in the CPS IRC channel and many questions went unanswered on the mailing
list. We ditched CPS before they moved to Java and that move only
reinforced the decision. We were also using Plone at the time and by
contrast, Plone had a real community around it and very good documentation.

Nuxeo seems to be making a push into the North American market now and
have signed up a local VAR (whom I know). We haven't touched Nuxeo since
they migrated to Java so I have no idea if it's better-documented than
CPS or if there is any sort of a community around it. The former is
possible. The latter, I doubt exists.

If you read the blurbs of the various "open source ECM" vendors, there
are lots of buzz words but there isn't any obvious thing that makes them
more "enterprisey" than Plone, for example.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis