usb wireless networking for notebook

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 9 19:15:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 05:40:26PM -0400, Thomas Milne wrote:
> I've totally given up on the Broadcom crap. Some people just don't
> know how to make a simple network device.

Well they probably know how to make them.  What broadcom doesn't know
is how to deal with customers (as in end users, not the customers that
pays money directly to broadcom, although they aren't great at dealing
with that kind either).  THey also don't know how to document things to
make them useable.

> Anyhow, someone suggested i get a usb wireless card for the notebook,
> but I've no experience with those at all. I wonder if anyone can point
> me to a wireless add-on that is easily recognized and supported under
> Linux.

Well I have a ralink card in one PC, and I know they make usb chips too.
There is a site with a list of ralink based devices which can be handy
for shopping from.

Surprisingly under windows 7 on the PC in question, the wireless card
was not supported, since apparently linksys feels no need to release
a driver for a 3 year old card for anything other than windows XP.
Downloading a vista driver from ralink and forcing it to install made
the card work perfectly.  Under linux it simply works of course.

--
Len Sorensen