usb wireless networking for notebook

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 9 05:01:47 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Jamon Camisso<jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Thomas Milne wrote:
>>
>> I've totally given up on the Broadcom crap. Some people just don't
>> know how to make a simple network device.
>>
>> Anyhow, someone suggested i get a usb wireless card for the notebook,
>> but I've no experience with those at all. I wonder if anyone can point
>> me to a wireless add-on that is easily recognized and supported under
>> Linux.
>
> http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_hostif.php?hostif=USB
>
> ralink chipsets show decent support across the board, and I'm sure you can
> find one of the adaptors listed there for ~$20 at most computer shops.
>
> Jamon

I dealt with issues on my Broadcomm for about 6 months before the "WL"
driver got it working properly. Before that I used a little gumstick
"TP-Link" adaptor.
It's just slightly bigger than a USB thumb drive, but has a pretty
good signal and works just fine in 'nix with a minimum of fuss.

Specifically, mine's a "TL-WN321G" and it uses the "rt73usb" driver. I
believe I bought it from "Fortune Computers" around College and
Spadina

http://www.tp-link.com/products/product_des.asp?id=47

Anyone else tried TP-Link stuff? I had a co-worker who had one of
their routers and said that it was cheap and worked better than most
of the more expensive stuff he tried before. My own experience is only
with this USB-Wireless adaptor though/