Perl or Python?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 6 15:03:37 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 05, 2009 at 04:34:15PM -0400, Marc Lanctot wrote:
> You're going to have to do a fair bit of convincing to get anyone to
> believe you that "Java is not useful". Specifically, oh, say 20% (the
> highest proportion) of the programmers out there [1].

Well in my opinion they are probably the worst 20% of programmers out
there.  It's rather like visual basic that way, except that seems to be
going out of style now.  I guess java has replaced it.

So if you have lots of resources to waste, and want unskilled programmers
to coble together premade classes, then sure java is useful.  That is
almost the only thing I have ever seen java accomplish.  There are rare
exceptions, but not many.

> It's very hard to make a general comparison on performance between these
> two languages; it depends on the specific task at hand, the
> JVM/Python interpreter implementation, and the specific system.
> There's wayyyy too much variance. If you could point to scientific
> evidence, I would be inclined to look into it. I doubt anybody would
> ever spend effort on that, though, because /that/ is useless -- if
> anybody ever has to make the Python vs. Java decision, it will depend
> highly on what they're using the language for.

I didn't mean to compare python and java.  Comparing a scripting language
to a "compiled" language makes little sense.

--
Len Sorensen