Perl or Python?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 6 16:35:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Lennart
Sorensen<lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 05, 2009 at 04:34:15PM -0400, Marc Lanctot wrote:
>> You're going to have to do a fair bit of convincing to get anyone to
>> believe you that "Java is not useful". Specifically, oh, say 20% (the
>> highest proportion) of the programmers out there [1].
>
> Well in my opinion they are probably the worst 20% of programmers out
> there.  It's rather like visual basic that way, except that seems to be
> going out of style now.  I guess java has replaced it.

I would agree that the worst 10% of the programmers headed off and
learned Java...

"If Ada became the hot, in-language  you would see a lot more bad code
in   Ada."
-- Thaddeus L.  Olczyk <olczyk-IKAnbrrkwKZdz2imjWt+ww at public.gmane.org>, comp.lang.C++

> So if you have lots of resources to waste, and want unskilled programmers
> to coble together premade classes, then sure java is useful.  That is
> almost the only thing I have ever seen java accomplish.  There are rare
> exceptions, but not many.

I've seen *incredibly* awful Java code, but the folks I sit with at
work have built some pretty scalable Java-based applications, too.

It's worth noting that, when doing that, they eschewed the "grand
unified frameworks" - those seem to be necessary to structure the work
of the "bozos cobbling together premade classes", but those frameworks
pretty much preclude decent performance.
Clifford Stoll  - "The Internet is a telephone system that's gotten
uppity." - http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/c/clifford_stoll.html