Perl or Python?

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 2 16:21:35 UTC 2009

2009/7/1 Rajinder Yadav <devguy-DaQTI0RpDDMAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>:

> My quest as lead me down the path to also consider Ruby =)
>
> The website states:
>
> "The beauty of Ruby is found in its balance between simplicity and power." - Marc, yes it's a vague statement ;)
>
> More to the point the creator says this:
>
> Initially, Matz looked at other languages to find an ideal syntax. Recalling his search, he said, “I wanted a scripting language that was more powerful than Perl, and more object-oriented than Python3.”
>
> Are there any Ruby fans?

This is somewhat OT, but the mention of Ruby reminded me of an article
I saw recently:

http://gmarceau.qc.ca/blog/2009/05/speed-size-and-dependability-of.html

It's an attempt to chart code size vs. speed of execution for various
languages.  Ironically a language most of us have barely heard of
(OCAML) produces the best-looking graph.  Ruby, Python, and Perl are
all off-the-charts slow (they're being compared to compiled languages)
but have very small code size.  Of course it's also dependent on
things like how well the author wrote the code ...

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org