selinux strangeness

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 1 13:02:17 UTC 2009

Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> This time I am not breaking threads? ;)
>
> This is more of out of curiosity, not so much a problem. But it would be
> nice to be able to play doom.
>
> Centos 5.3 is here, which is supposed to be like RedHat Enterprise of
> the same version.
>
> I have xdosemu installed, an emulation of DOS. To play doom.
>
> Sometime, not always, when I try to start xdosemu, I get this message:
>
> /usr/bin/xdosemu: relocation error: /usr/lib/dosemu/libplugin_X.so:
> symbol getenv, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link
> time reference
>
> My intuition told me rightly that this is a message from selinux. So, I
> go to menu
> System-> Administration -> Security Level and Firewall. I choose as root
> SELinux tab, and disable again Selinux. Sometime that does help.
> Sometime it does not...

LD_ASSUME_KERNEL will fix that.
Read http://people.redhat.com/drepper/assumekernel.html for more.

People tend to blame selinux for a lot of problems that they haven't
encountered before, but generally, if your problem is selinux related,
there will be a message in /var/log/messages and /var/log/audit/audit.log.

selinux isn't the boogeyman (turn it back on), though I dislike working
with it sometimes since the logged messages are rather verbose and yet
still somewhat cryptic.

Jamon