selinux strangeness

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 1 14:40:24 UTC 2009

Jamon Camisso wrote:
> Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
>> This time I am not breaking threads? ;)
>>
>> This is more of out of curiosity, not so much a problem. But it would
>> be nice to be able to play doom.
>>
>> Centos 5.3 is here, which is supposed to be like RedHat Enterprise of
>> the same version.
>>
>> I have xdosemu installed, an emulation of DOS. To play doom.
>>
>> Sometime, not always, when I try to start xdosemu, I get this message:
>>
>> /usr/bin/xdosemu: relocation error: /usr/lib/dosemu/libplugin_X.so:
>> symbol getenv, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with
>> link time reference
>>
>> My intuition told me rightly that this is a message from selinux. So,
>> I go to menu
>> System-> Administration -> Security Level and Firewall. I choose as
>> root SELinux tab, and disable again Selinux. Sometime that does help.
>> Sometime it does not...
>
> LD_ASSUME_KERNEL will fix that.
> Read http://people.redhat.com/drepper/assumekernel.html for more.
I did in the past something like that. Perhaps on another system. Dont
assume however that I understand what I did or what you wrote...
I actually right now do not understand what you wrote... ;)

The situation is really crazy. Now, I find that when I issue "xdosemu"
command from terminal window, it sometimes works. And.. sometimes it
does not work, producing error message. This is a something entirely out
of mind.

> People tend to blame selinux for a lot of problems that they haven't
> encountered before, but generally, if your problem is selinux related,
> there will be a message in /var/log/messages and
> /var/log/audit/audit.log.

I know about these messages.

> selinux isn't the boogeyman (turn it back on), though I dislike
> working with it sometimes since the logged messages are rather verbose
> and yet still somewhat cryptic.

I disagree somewhat about all this selinux. If one can not understand
security, than that is not security.

Besides, what a hell is this selinux for? Anyone around could really
explain? I mean - I do probably know what for (and I doubt that the
model used there is really useful commonly), but I want to hear from the
list.

Regards,

zb.