Disabling favicon errors

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 30 22:48:27 UTC 2009

Hi Pals,

First I think I have been living in a cave or something. I just learned
about favicon an hour ago. I think that is unexcusable ignorance, but it
happen to be true. I have come across the name a lot of time in apache logs,
but it was only today that I thought of looking it up. Actually, I used to
think it was a domain name all along. Ended up in this interesting site.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7839744.stm

Now, the purpose of the post. I do manage a hosting environment where apache
is the web server.  Some of the customers are either not interested in using
  favicon or are unaware of their use. This result in a lot of errors
generated by apache about a missing file as below:

[Tue Jan 22 12:40:27 2009] [error] [client 10.10.1.188] File does not exist:
/var/www/html/favicon.ico

Now, as far as I we are concerned this is just a nuisance. I have googled
about it, read apache manual for a while but I have not come across a way of
disabling favicon related error without disabling all the other errors
message. Would any of us here have experience disabling apache error logs
selectively that he/she can share with the rest of tlug please?

Thanks in advance.

William

Regards,

William