Linux coding

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 29 21:30:30 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 02:31:35PM -0500, Tyler Aviss wrote:
> Awhile ago I bought an EEE to make use of some of that otherwise
> wasted time I spend on the subway. So far I've been trying to update
> my somewhat rusty knowledge of C++ and working with toolkits such as
> OGRE.
> Does anyone else on the list actually code C++'ish apps under Linux,
> or has played around with 3d/Ogre/SDL/etc development?

I have played a bit with SDL and opengl in the past.  I avoid c++ in
favour of c on principle though.  Python is more fun and quicker to play
with for sdl and opengl though especially using the pygame library.  All
of the fun with none of the ugly c or c++ bits to worry about.

> What do you find are the best resources for these? I find that a large
> portion of books tend to be windows-focussed, even for the
> cross-platform apps or frameworks.
>
> Also, this may start a bit of a flamewar... but on modern systems, how
> would compare performance of something like Python (I haven't used it,
> but after Perl/PHP/C/C++ they're all somewhat familiar in
> concept/layout) or interpreted languages VS something compiled with
> C/C++/etc

python actually does some compiling when you run it, and I believe,
caches the result so running the same script (if it hasn't changed) is
much faster.  It is also very good at interfacing with c libraries and
hence taking advantage of c libraries doing the heavy work, but letting
someone else write those.

--
Len Sorensen